Need some clarification
Ravinder Bahadur
2018-11-26 06:58:17 UTC
Hi ,

I am a newbie in this field and need your help. I have the below questions:

1. Can Hive be installed without Hadoop ?
2. Can I use the Hive as a standalone to query and analyse data from my
current regular database or do I need to follow the hadoop architecture. ?

Thanks & Regards
Ravinder
balajee venkatesh
2018-11-26 07:03:17 UTC
You can follow the link below:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21329856/how-to-use-hive-without-hadoop

Hope it will resolve all your queries.

Thanks,
Balajee Venkatesh
Hi ,
Ravinder
hernan saab
2018-11-26 10:10:19 UTC
Ravinder Bahadur
2018-11-27 08:06:15 UTC
Thanks for the update.

Regards
Ravinder
Post by hernan saab
You need to be particularly careful with this topic. You may end up
working an eternity trying to figure this out from the hive perspective.
The truth is, hive is not a seamless plugin to other storage/computing
engines.
Hive has nasty library and configuration dependencies that you will never
be able to figure out on your own unless you are a highly experienced hive
contributor, not any Hive contributor.
Hive is not a user friendly library and it is by no means plug and play to
anything whatsoever outside a specific combination of library
versions-revisions with a specific configuration.
If you are not connecting to hadoop, this means you are connecting to
something else, a computing engine, or another storage technology. Find
out what it is and find out how other people did it for that particular
storage or computing engine. Don't over estimate the versions and revisions
used for just about every jar required (about 30 to 40 of them).
If you have the opportunity, use packaged setups like ambari or cloudera.
It will save you tons and tons of time. Seriously consider sacrificing
features as a trade-off for having a pre-configured and fully functional
setup. You may realize a functional setup may require very old libraries
that will not allow a newer cool feature to work.
On Monday, November 26, 2018, 12:33:35 PM GMT+5:30, balajee venkatesh <